Available with Spanish subtitles!
¡Disponible con subtítulos en español!
Who was Ayn Rand? What kind of person did it take to create the fictional heroes of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead and to develop a new philosophy of reason? This documentary-style course traces Rand’s life (1905 – 1982) from the perspective of her goal of becoming a writer. Photographs, film clips and audio of Rand’s own personal recollections enliven this narrative of her prolific career. Among the questions answered in this course:
- What motivated Rand’s decision at age nine to become a writer?
- Why did she think it necessary to flee Soviet Russia?
- How did she get her start in Hollywood?
- How did she support herself while working on her unpublished fiction projects?
- How did she get the idea for the story of The Fountainhead?
- Why was Anthem first published in England and not the United States?
- Why did publishers who had turned down Rand’s earlier novels want to publish Atlas Shrugged?
- Why did Rand turn to nonfiction writing after publishing Atlas Shrugged in 1957?